Advent Day 8 Away In A Manger

The song Away In A Manger is pretty self explanitory what it means and says. Even with the verse from Luke 2 as we are back in that chapter again. Often Luke and Matthew have lots of refrences to the birth of Christ.

6 And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born. 7 She gave birth to her first child, a son. She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no lodging available for them.   

Away In A Manger 

Away in a manger, no crib for His bed;

The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head

The King of Kings and Lord of Lords is born in a manger with not so much as a bed to lie on. The humble beginnings of our Lord’s life remind us that we are to be humble and thankful for what we have been blessed with. The true meaning of Christmas is reflected so poetically in the story of Jesus’ birth that we cannot help but find ourselves grateful for all that was given to us on that day.

The song describes how even when Jesus wakes, he does not cry out or make a sound. This day was a day of rejoicing, and the baby lying awake on the hay was no ordinary child, He was the Savior of men! The last verse of the song asks the Lord to stay beside us, to lead us, and to eventually take us to Heaven to live with Him. How often is that our prayer? Stay beside me Lord as I make my way through this earthly life.

How glorious and beautiful is the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. We celebrate His birth and the life that was given to us by Him through His life, death, and resurrection.

Questions:

In your opinion, how does this carol reflect the love of Christ?

What does this carol show you about our Lord at the beginning of His life here on earth?

Why do you think God chose for his son to be born in a manger instead of a birth fitting of royalty?

My Answers:

I think this carol reflects Christs love because of his reason for coming to this Earth, God wanted people to have a way to Heaven. The carol shows a warm loving carring heart He will have and has for the people. He will always be near, as sometimes we do pray for Him to be with us through anything or someone we know  as well. I think God chose a manger instead of a something royal other than there was no room in the Inn, but because maybe Jesus wouldn't forget His purpose, His mission on Earth was, maybe not all Kings have to money to be a King and serve a purpose, I'm not entirley sure. The answer seems easy but yet makes you really think about it too.

 

 

2 thoughts on “Advent Day 8 Away In A Manger

  1. Q: In your opinion, how does this carol reflect the love of Christ?
    A: I agree, it shows the love of Christ because He was willing to be humble. Every day He was humbled and it all started in a manger.

    Q: What does this carol show you about our Lord at the beginning of His life here on earth?
    A: Again, He was humble. He was real. He didn't have everything He wanted. He was normal. He was perfect because even though he started so poor, He had riches and "didn't blame his childhood" for how people treated him.

    Q: Why do you think God chose for his son to be born in a manger instead of a birth fitting of royalty?
    A: There may be 1% of people who are wealthy, royalty or otherwise on top of the human pile of achievements. Being born in this way, this lowly identifies him with the other 99% of humanity.

    Great thoughts and a good song Tiggy!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *